Sunday 3 October 2010

2 steps forward; one step back

Adam and I ventured out for our first paddle in daylight and while the wind had picked up and here was a little more flow around the conditions seemed pretty good. A quick portage over Sunbury and we bashed our way up towards Walton Bridge fairly uneventfully. I had left my usual boat shoes at home in my early morning stupor so had to try and steer while wearing crocs; not exactly ideal and I was finding it harder than usual in the slightly increased flow. Despite that, we made it into the Desborough cut feeling good, passing a few rowers and enjoying the scenery. It was then that we took a swim completely out the blue :-( After emptying the boat we got back in only to be swimming again 30 seconds later. That was it, confidence completely shot, we plodded back to Sunbury with the wind rising all the time.

Basically, we have a lean problem and we are going to need to do some work to correct this, probably by going out in the K1 boats a lot more. I am leaning right to compensate for Adam and as soon as I straighten up we are rolling to the left. It seems to get worse the more tired we get so coupled with some core strength work we should be able to sort it. Thankfully the water was not too cold but it will not be so funny in a few weeks time.

No comments:

Post a Comment