Monday 29 November 2010

You stupid boy!

I had a great weekend, mainly because I spent it not worrying about staying upright in a kayak, or worrying about how little running I can do, or how little cycling I am doing or how little swimming I have done this year. Instead, I spent it with the people dearest to me, dancing to some tunes and having a couple of cheeky beers while I celebrated the start of my fifth decade on the planet.

I am not very good (read 'rubbish') at multi-tasking, which for someone who takes part in triathlons,  is a very serious drawback. Therefore the last six weeks or so all I could focus on was kayaking and getting some prep done for next year's DW. I should also add that when we are out paddling I feel extremely responsible for Adam. He's my best mate and the last thing I want to do is see him get himself out of his depth while we are training and at the moment at least, I am the experienced one who is usually making the decisions about where we paddle, what we paddle in and what we will do in the session.. At best, it's going to dampen his enthusiasm for what he is doing if I get it wrong and at the worst he could end up floating face down in the water.  Adam's a very good swimmer and we don't take stupid risks when we are out. We always wear BA's, I always have a phone and we are training in a very benign section of the Thames with lots of get-outs, but being a natural worrier I have focused entirely on getting our boat skills up to speed. It has taken longer than both of us thought and now that the weather has become very cold it adds a whole new dimension to our safety and the decisions I make when training and once again my focus has been completely drawn away from all other things, most notably tri. My Van Nic has sat, untouched in the garage for the last four weeks, without a turn of its wheels and because of one rubbish reason after another, so has the Trek commuter. I've put in the odd run and the odd swim but I have constantly been drawn back to the the problems Adam and I are facing, but I miss tri training and have let it slide. The only option is to enter a race and prepare for it. That, I know I can do.

My registration for the Forestman Long course triathlon has just gone through. Now I am worried. :-/

No comments:

Post a Comment