Sunday 12 June 2011

The hard stuff's done.

I didn't get the volume of training in this week that I had planned as more important family and work stuff took priority but I was able to get the most important sessions done this week. A couple of swims and yesterday's at Heron Lake saw me complete 4km and emerge from the water pretty fresh which was a massive confidence boost. Also managed to get my sighting sorted, (except for the bit where I swam into a buoy)Open water swimming, enjoyable? Who'd of thunk it? 

Not as much cycling done as I wanted but Simon and I paired up for a 2up TT on Wednesday. The weather was atrocious with the heavens opening literally as we pushed off. I was really heavy legged at the start again but we managed a long 25, which in the circumstances was pretty good. The only other rides of mote was my 2 long Sunday rides last week and today.  4 of us went out last week and the plan was for me to have a recovery ride of around 50-60 miles. It became, unintentionally,  a 70 mile fartlek ride. Simon had had a long run the day before so he was suffering for most of it, but I felt really good. Another member of the group, John, was a very strong rider but it was really good for me to be pulled along by him and to also take some extended turns on the front and sprint hard up hills. Lots. Of. Fun. Today was my last long ride before the race and we headed off the Ditchling Beacon again. We left early to try to beat the weather and for the first hour it was lovely, but once again, the clouds gathered, the temperature dropped and the light drizzle started. I am feeling really good about the bike at the moment. It's always been my particularly weak discipline but I think that in these long rides I have managed to learn to pace them really well. Once again today, my 92nd mile was as strong as my first and as long as I can do that on race day then I'll be pleased with that.

The worrying thing is my running, my supposedly strongest discipline. Lack of volume has meant that when I have run long, like I did on Monday it was very uncomfortable. I did 1.45 before I had to stop and walk. Once again, my foot began to ache and became painful, forcing me to stop and walk / run the rest of the way home. Having said that, that's what I'm going to do on race day and I can't do much about it now anyway. Which ever way you dice it, it's going to hurt.

Two weeks to go. Time to taper and not eat too much.

1 comment:

  1. Not long now mate, Cycling and swimming look nailed! Hopefully you won't struggle with your foot on the day. How do you compare Ironman to DW? Can you compare the two?

    ReplyDelete