Wednesday 5 October 2011

So, how do you run long?

This is a question that's beginning to bug me, for the simple reason I am finding it quite hard. Although I have had a cold for 10 days or so I have managed to keep ticking over, either on the bike or doing a fairly low quality run. Before that however, I was running pretty well and was comfortably increasing the mileage, with two 16 mile runs, with negative splits in a shade over 2 hours. All was looking good.

On Sunday evening, I went out for my latest long run in preparation for the Luton Marathon. The plan was broadly similar as to my last long runs pre cold. I intended to run slowly for the first lap and a half of my route (13 miles) and then begin to increase the pace to around marathon effort. I also took along two high 5 gels in order to try them out and I would take them at 90 minutes and 2 hrs in. From the off, I felt uncomfortable, feeling the effects of the tempo run the day before (not ideal long run prep, I know but it had to be done). But, I knew that I would feel better as I warmed up and sure enough after 30 minutes I began feeling looser and settled into the run. 90 minutes came round and it was time to use the gel. I've always used gels in triathlons but never when running. In 2008 when training for the London Marathon I had forgone all use of gels and nutrition and when the wheels spectacularly started to fall off at 18 miles I knew then that looking at improving my nutrition was required. Anyway, I took the gel, grimacing as I knocked it back although it didn't react with my stomach. Over then next hour, two things happened, one good, one bad.

The good was that the two gels kept my energy levels up and I didn't feel the usual bonk that became a familiar feature of my long runs in 2008. The bad was the feeling that my quads had been attacked with hammers. 16 miles I can run and feel relatively fresh but even though I started really slowly, I would describe those last couple of miles as genuinely painful. It wasn't my ITB playing up; it was purely muscular. My leg turnover was good and I felt good aerobically but I was finding it harder and harder to run fluently.

I am hoping that it's a hydration issue; I didn't take any fluids during the run although I was well hydrated beforehand. If it's not, then I'm in trouble.

Hodge - Maybe ;-)

3 comments:

  1. 1) Your ITB problems, your calf injuries and now tight quads would all point to a combination of tight hamstrings + weak core and pelvis control.
    2) How have you picked your marathon pace? Is it what you want to run for Luton, or what you are fit enough to run now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil, thanks for your comments.I have focussed on my lower legs for so long that I have probably neglected my upper leg muscle groups. I feel that my hamstrings may well need a lot of attention. Re; pace, realistically I am going to have to pace it for 3.30 ish at the moment. 16 miles, even starting pretty slowly I was running at a 3.15 average pace. Add on another couple of miles as I did on Sunday and that drops markedly to 3.30ish (but with a very slow first 8-9 miles. I want to get at least 2x20 milers, preferably 3 usinh HR and see where I am then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mate that's tough being so close! Sounds like you hit the nail on the head with the neglect, can you not swim and bike the last section ; ) Suppose it is to late to build up the muscle group so the stretching option seems favourite, I have always maintained a constant pace when running Marathon's but that said i don't hit the times you are looking at..... Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete