Tuesday 8 May 2012

Struggling again

Two sundays ago I finally got out onto my bike with Simon for the first time this year. It was not pretty but as I kept telling myself as I struggled around the Surrey hills for two hours, what could I expect? Whitedown was particularly brutal with the last kick at the top of the hill almost getting me to dismount. I have never dismounted to get up a hill and I didn't intend to start now but I did need to coast easily for the next 15 minutes and spin gently home as a result. last sunday I was out with Simon again. This time it was a little easier and longer at 3 hours with 75 kms on the clock.

In the middle of the week I had a couple of gentle runs and more importantly I started a strength and conditioning program that I am hoping will allow me to run without getting injured. How ironic then that the same programme has now left me with my left foot in tatters. The exercises and reps are designed to strengthen my hamstrings and calves as well as working on my core strength. One of the exercises was to do jump squats and I think that it may have been these that are now responsble for my foot once again being swollen. Frustrating is not the word. I am booked it to see a podiatrist next week which will hopefully start the process of getting rid of this injury once and for all, although I am certain that it's going to be a lot of work before I can run freely again. In the meantime it's RICE, stretching and nurofen.

No comments:

Post a Comment