Tuesday 29 January 2013

Teetering on the brink

Gotta have a plan.
So another solid week's marathon training bar one session, the most important one, the long run. Simon and I were due to run 2 laps of Richmond Park early on Sunday for a steady 15 miles, but within a few hundred metres I knew it was not going to happen. My left hamstring and calf were very tight and the early start and ineffective warm up were taking their toll. After 5 minutes I had to stop and stretch again but I could feel it was only helping so much. I found on the flat and downhill it was ok-ish but on uphills seemed to get worse. After another couple of stretch stops we got back to the car and stopped with 7.5 miles on the clock. Not a disaster, but not what was planned. The first seeds of doubt being sown. I felt guilty that Simon had taken the trouble to drive all the way over to pick me up and I probably could have struggled around, but that's what it would have been, a struggle, rather than a gentle aerobic long run.

I also had in the back of my mind that I had to run the following night to qualify for my London Marathon place and it would be pretty rubbish if I turned up and then couldn't actually run. Three of us from work travelled up from leafy Surrey to the City and ran with 20 others around the Thames path taking in some fabulous sights while dodging commuters and tourists. I took it very gingerly for the first 2 miles and my leg felt much better. So did I take it easy? Nah. Got my head down on the way home and caught up with the guys at the front. :-) 

So it looks like I am going to have to be careful and really focus on some strength, stretching and core exercises, so the rest of this week is going to be a rest week, still running but dropping the intensity of some of the sessions. I have my marathon programme on the fridge and the fact I can see a good few weeks ahead helps me to keep the bigger picture in mind. Best a rest now than a full blown injury in the near future.

I have the Watford half on Sunday, which will be my first race this year and my first real test of my marathon preparation so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment