Saturday 14 December 2013

Not quite going to plan

Following a solid month of cycling and commuting I have spent the whole of this week resting. I just ended up finding myself being really tired and no amount of sleep was helping to relieve how I was feeling. I knew that trying to train through it all would have been counter-productive so I decided to kick back and relax as we head into Christmas. I started to get back into it this morning with a very relaxed 30 minute run and tomorrow I will have another bimble around Surrey on the bike.

So next season. Well, it's all changed already. I was hoping to enter Embrunman for 2014 but it's not happening now. Unfortunately the date just doesn't fit with some other things that we have planned as a family so my European IM debut will have to wait for another season. As a result I've decided to not use Coach Cox for my training plans anymore. His plans were great but as I only had the one goal in mind, the ascent of the Col D' Izoard and then to run a marathon afterwards I decided to call time. It's a big shame but there's a few other things for me to focus on.

Firstly, the Thunder Run. A group of us are going to enter this 24 hour running event as a team of 8. I heard about it via the Marathon Talk podcast and it just seemed like a really good fun event. Hopefully we will all run the equivalent of around 30km over the day and night while camping in the Derbyshire Dales. What's not to like? In order to help get the ball rolling I am going to be taking part in Jantastic again this year, but I am reining it in a bit. Instead of 5 runs per week which has seen me crocking myself for the past two years I will be capping it at 3 in order that I can get to the start line uninjured.

Secondly, I have become the TT Secretary of the Kingston Phoenix which will mean I am responsible for organising our evening 10s and promoting time trialling within the club. With that in mind there is a group of us looking at doing the National 24hr TT in June which should be quite a laugh and is the focus I need at the moment. So, some new things and some disappointments, but hey, it's only a hobby.

1 comment:

  1. All sounds good mate, and like you say, it is only a hobby! Some really exciting things to focus on there, as for Embrunman, it's going nowhere so plenty of time for that ; )

    ReplyDelete