Saturday 25 September 2010

Commuterville

As far as training goes, the week's been a bit of a washout as will become obvious in a moment. I suppose, trying to give it a positive spin I have been able to do some preparation for the forthcoming weeks ahead. Not preparation in the physical, 'let's lay a base foundation of fitness' but preparing stuff. Early on in the week, I took my long neglected Trek off the turbo and spent a few hours giving it a thorough overhaul; new chain and sprockets, brake blocks, tyres, bar tape (still had the original tape on which was over 4 years old; euugh!!) mudguards on, gears and brakes adjusted. This was all ready for me to use it over the winter to get me to work and back as well as training on. While everything was set up really nicely and working well, my quads had a bit of a shock now with only 16 gears on a double set up, instead of the Euros's 20 gears on a compact. I guess that it will all be good for my cycling muscular endurance over the winter period. I have learnt that when commuting by bike, the world can be divided into those drivers who will happily move over to let you through (and receive a cheery, 'thank you' wave from me in return) and those who are so insensed that a man in lycra and flourescent yellow is going faster than their Japanese 'supercar' decide that making someone else's journey slighty easier is way beyond them. I even had one person on Friday, quite deliberately move their car across to the centre of the lane so that I could not get past his car and a traffic island. Petty, doesn't even come close to describing actions like that. :-(

Training has not happened this week, except for a couple of 30 minute runs, basically because my mother's been taken ill. She's currently in hospital after fracturing her tib and fib in a fall on Tuesday , which has required surgery and some metal work which the late, great Barry Sheene would have been proud of. There's also other issues which need resolving, so tri stuff is not really at the front of my mind.

But, next week, Ironman training WILL start.......

No comments:

Post a Comment