Friday 22 June 2012

So you want to do the DW? Part 2.

Some more of my thoughts for fellow MAMILs / MAWILS training for the DW.

5. Get Stable. I have found stability an odd thing to get my head around; sometimes I feel terribly twitchy in a boat, even ones that are supposedly high up the wobble factor scale. I have found that there is a simple correlation between the amount of paddling I do and the more stable I become, but other than that, if you are struggling,  how do you improve your stability? Well, these are the points that have helped me;

i. Bracing. Bracing is basically a support stroke that is used to help you recover if you tip too far. Practise bracing. The more confident I was in my ability to brace the better I paddled. Practice bracing in shallow water and find out how far you can tip the boat over before capsizing.




This guy's just showing off, but you get the idea. ;-)



ii. Keep your head up. Don't look down at the boat but look up ahead or at the horizon.

iii. Start off in a stable boat* that you can handle, get your technique nailed and then gradually move to a more tippy kayak. It's more important that you can go out and paddle comfortably on the river for an hour and have a good training session than spending that hour trying to stay upright, so don't waste months trying to master a boat when you probably don't need to.

Start stable and paddle!

iv. There are other stability exercises that you can do in the boat. E.G. sitting in the boat and do the paddling action without the paddle. I find that this helps you to think about your hip position and how this effects the boat. I am sure there are others. Again, a coach will have exercises and drill to help you.

v. Do core exercises. You core muscles are not only essential in helping you power the boat through the water but a strong core also helps with stability. When you first start paddling you will probably find your back aching like never before; this is because your lower back, hips and hamstrings are doing an awful lot of work keeping you upright. I would advise you to do a core session or two per week, using a Swiss Ball or some other similar device of torture.
There are plenty of core exercises and videos for you to develop a simply programme. I usually did a 30 minute session twice  a week. Start gently. If you have back problems, take advice.

These are the 2 main exercises I focussed on;


* More Stable boats;

K1 - Marsport Laance or Hobby, Kirton Tor (Mid-range stability boat)

K2 - Marsport Condor, Kirton Mystere, Kirton Meister, Kirton Mirage (Mid-range stability boat)


Useful Links

Kirton kayaks

Marsport





No comments:

Post a Comment