Thursday 21 February 2013

A man on a bike

Today was my second ride out on a bicycle this year. After all the work I put into #Turbovember I have hardly turned a wheel and today it showed. I could reel off a myriad of excuses regarding rubbish weather, ill children needing dropping off at grandparents and lack of mojo, but ultimately I have enjoyed getting some running fitness back and with the London Marathon looming large, with the enticing goal of a 'good for age' time within my grasp, biking and swimming have taken a hit. But I need to start doing something now if I am to achieve a pb at the Dambuster tri and I would also like to get my tt times down as I have blogged before, so I need to get a a couple of sessions in to make that a reality.

When I arranged to meet Simon earlier this week the sun was shining and it looked like Spring was here. Que this morning; barely above freezing, a stiff wind and no sun whatsoever. Jeez... Simon promised me a steady pace. He lied. After 30 minutes I was humping all over my bike trying to keep some semblance of forward motion as we took in some of the less demanding Surrey Hills. Despite Simon still not feeling 100% from when we did the Watford Half, he still left me for dead. It was not made easier by the fact I couldn't get into the granny ring and no amount of twiddling the barrel adjuster could get it to shift.

We got lost on the way to Peaslake where we were going to defrost and have a cup of tea at the post office and ended up God knows where, before finding a road back to Holmbury St Mary. It was an embarrassingly slow 45 miles. Proof positive that run fitness does not equate to cycle fitness. This weekend I intend to get the commuter bike back up and running otherwise the tri season will be over before its really begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment