Sunday 24 February 2013

A tale of two runs

Friday's run was meant to be a 9 mile marathon paced effort and it was but it was really hard work. Another early start and a very cold morning were not conducive to a hard, sustained effort. I was also stupid in not wrapping up properly so I got cold very quickly and my mojo was at a very low ebb. I got the session done but it was thoroughly unenjoyable. Saturday morning was my long run with the aim of getting 20 miles done and Simon was going to accompany me. He's still not feeling 100% but he has the remarkable ability to be able to go out and do a long endurance session on very little miles, but that said he has been very consistent with his biking over the winter which shows. I took was thoroughly wrapped up with time; full Lycra, snood, hat, gloves. The absolute works.  I looked like an extra from Ice Station Zebra.

We did a hilly loop that took us up to the back of Bocketts Farm and Denbeighs before running for a couple of miles out to Dorking and then back to Leatherhead, with a couple of  5km loops near Simon's house. The only fly in the ointment was the fact I had to stop at 15 miles for what could only be described as 'gastric issues'. :-(.

The good news was that my last 3 miles were comfortably my fastest and I felt really strong despite taking no energy on board for the rest of the run. Well, I felt strong until the afternoon when my nose started to run and a sore throat flared up, I presume brought about after my cold run on Friday. Thankfully, this week is a rest week, so I am hopeful that I can take it easy and recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment