Friday 22 November 2013

And now for something completely different

I have spent the last two Fridays mountain biking in the afternoon with some kids from school. I was volunteered for this as I apparently know how to ride a bike. Unfortunately these two afternoons have proved that I am not quite as good as I or my colleagues at work believe me to be. Lots of mud, deep ruts and loose gravel make for a bumpy and twitchy ride which is very different from a head down blast up a dual carriageway.  The rides have been led by a chap called Barry, who is an amazing rider.  He is basically a pair of quad muscles with lungs attached in a Lycra package.  I can hang on to him just, when going uphill but I don't stand a chance when descending.

We've looped around Epsom Downs and made our way up and down the hills of Headley with some steep climbs and narrow descents which had me hanging onto the bars for dear life at times.  Despite all this it was a hell of a lot of fun and another few hours on a bike. I guess it all counts.

I'm back running again. Two runs this week of 20 and 30 minutes sticking to soft ground to take as much stress off my Achilles as possible. A third and final run tomorrow and then a final road ride on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment