Monday 6 April 2015

Hot cross buns equals...

.....the DW.

It's always the case that at this time of year, my blog, which I estimate is read by about 4 people, gets a significant surge in traffic. The reason for this is down to the DW. I have to admit to getting fairly misty eyed about it myself and as I watch the tracker being updated, following the couple of crews that I am usually aware of, I have to admit to pangs of envy and the feeling that I would like to do it again. There is always a small flurry of texts or some Facebook banter between Jamie, Adam and myself, almost trying to goad each other into committing towards another year of training. Sometimes, I even get back into a kayak and do a paddle or two. I really would love to do it again one day. It still stands as the hardest and most rewarding thing I have done and while it is a cheesy line, it is true that anyone who finishes the DW is a winner.

My DW Race 2010
My DW Race 2011
My DW Race 2012

That said, I have been pretty busy doing other things. A lovely week walking in the Lakes was preceded by my 9th Park run (19:36). A solid run with no running in the two weeks before owing to a cold, but my left Achilles got very sore half way round, so I'm going to have to get stretching again and probably take it a little easy for a few weeks while it eases off.


I felt fast; I was slow.
On the same day I went with the Phoenix to the London Velodrome to have my first ever go at track riding. It was absolutely brilliant, made even more special by having Wheezy Junior having a go too. With 32 of us going it worked out at just over £10 each for an hour's riding, with coaching and including the hire of the Condor fixed wheel bikes. They split the group into two, basically those of the club who had ridden on a track before and those of us who had not. We were taken from doing basic laps around the cote (that's the blue band at the bottom of the track) and by the end of it most of us were circulating up round the top of the banking. It is very steep! I loved it and we are hopefully going back in the autumn so that we can progress through the levels. If you get a chance, then go.

So I got out for a gentle 50 miler yesterday while the sun started to shine; my first long bike ride in a few weeks. As ever, too late in trying to get some base bike miles in but the hills were not too painful and I spent a pleasant 3 hours in my own company. This week's going to be about getting a few more bike miles under my belt while the weather is pretty good and I am still on holibobs.







No comments:

Post a Comment