Tuesday 27 March 2018

Audax Checklist

when I plan longer distance events I tend to overdo it as far as equipment is concerned. None more so than the DW when I came back with boxes full of food that we were never, ever going to finish eating . A 300km audax is significantly longer than any other road ride I have done but it’s not really long. My 12hr time trials don’t really count as food and drink is handed up and navigation simply isn’t an issue. The point of Audax is that it’s a self supported ride and the rider is meant to be self reliant and able to deal with most eventualities on their own. The start of my Audax is at 6am so, in theory, I should be able to finish in daylight, barring mechanicals and stops that are too long at the controls.

My basic thinking to tackle the event is this;

  • Battery operated front light so if I need one later on, I’m not worrying about charging. Also means I can buy batteries at a shop or garage if needs be. 
  • I will have a few rear lights running throughout the event. I like to have a rear light on even during the day. 
  • I will navigate using the supplied route card (going old school) instead of using my Garmin, so I will need to fashion a route card holder for my bars. I will load the route on my Garmin and have it on the bike but more to record than navigate. I have not used my Garmin 800 much and want to get more used to it before relying on it.
  • I will have my top tube bag with a phone and nibbles and I’m going to buy a lightweight Alpkit dry bag for behind my seat. I think a front handlebar bag as well as a saddle bag is overkill for a 300, but we’ll see.
Kit to carry
  • 2 bottles
  • X3 spare tubes and a repair kit
  • Multi tool
  • Spare chain links
  • Chain oil
  • Chamois cream
  • Phone
  • Portable Battery charger and lead
  • Spare base layer
  • Gilet
  • Garmin 800
  • Skull cap
  • Spare food (mainly savoury) but not much. 
Once I get the route card sent through I can think about planning out eating and drinking to coincide with the controls but I know that I can fairly comfortably keep the food going in, even when on the move. I’m going to try to keep kit down to a minimum but it will be weather dependent and if the ‘ Beast from the east: vol. 3’ does materialise then I won’t hesitate to take plenty of spare clothing. 



No comments:

Post a Comment