Saturday 31 March 2018

Eyeballs above the road


Lovely flapjack at Proper coffee
I've had a week of cycling where I have deliberately not been on the turbo, as I just wanted to keep it simple, hit the road properly and try to get as big a week in as possible for having next week off on a family holiday. I have really felt the benefit of not doing any intervals as I have felt fresher legged, stronger up the hills and generally just happier with how things are progressing. I've done over 220 miles this week which is my biggest week all winter, but it doesn't feel like it's been that big a week.

Today's ride was properly old school, with Simon and I getting to Ditchling for a coffee before using the southerly wind to gently push us home. I had that amazing feeling as you're pushing over a long drag where it feels effortless and you're just a pair of eyeballs suspended 5 feet above the road, almost oblivious of you being connected to the road with a bike. It's a rare feeling but awesome when it happens. I managed to get 90 miles done at a pretty good average speed, which should set me up for the Amesbury Amble audax in two weeks' time.

In the meantime, it's going to be eat and rest and let the last few weeks' training sink in.


No comments:

Post a Comment