Friday 13 April 2018

Final bits n' bobs

Always the way that I start to dismantle my bike to 'fix' something almost immediately before I need it for an important event. The creaking in my headset came back yesterday, so I bit the bullet and decided to strip it down. It was as dry as a snake's backside. I'm pretty sure that I will need a new cartridge bearing and forks but without the time to order them and get them installed a good clean and then packing out with fresh grease will have to do. Mrs Wheezy was thrilled about turning the dining room into a bicycle workshop.










I gave the Van Nic a thorough clean and put new brake blocks on; heck, I even cleaned the mudguards. So here she is in full audax trim. The front light that was an £8 Amazon purchase, although heavy is very powerful and as it's powered by AAA batteries I don't have to worry about recharging. I'm carrying spare batteries but unless I get hopelessly lost I shouldn't really need it except in the early evening. The Alpkit dry bag is carrying everything; I've even put my pump and spare tubes in there so I don't have to carry them in my jersey. It has a little bit of a wobble despite much swearing and strap tightening, but other than that it's pretty neat. I did a ride to Windsor yesterday to check the Garmin and whether it charged ok from the battery pack and that was all good.

Rear view shows how neat the Alpkit stores. I've added a few reflectors on the rear mudguard; two small rear back-up lights above the rear brake with my main rear light still to go on. Belts and braces.

Only thing left to so is to have a quick shake down ride this evening just to check for any last minute problems, and then I'm good to go tomorrow.







No comments:

Post a Comment