Sunday 23 December 2018

It’s not all about the bike

It has been for the last few years but I’m gradually adapting to integrating swim and run into my week. Ok, the running has been extremely sporadic but I’ve got myself some orthotics which after a trial 5km run yesterday, seemed to make a difference. Only time will tell, but I don’t mind admitting being very frustrated with not being able to start the process of laying a run base. I’ve still got over 6 months and a lot of training time so I don’t need to stress, but I do want to make my run training the main focus for the early part of the year with the two Hampton Court half marathons booked in. I’m not going to do any speedwork for a while until I’ve got my legs a little bit more resilient, so it's a lot of very steady running on flat grass. EVERYTHING aches when I run at the moment, despite me taking these measures so I'm going to really try to make an effort with some core, strengthening and stretching work.

I’ve managed to keep my swim training going. Things are fine but I am very one paced. I’ve been reticent to do the hard CSS reps that I need to do to get faster, focussing on drills and aerobic endurance work, but at some point I’ve got to feel the hurt and get these sessions done. Yesterday's CSS set went better than planned although the first 5 lots of 100 felt dire, but the next two blocks felt a lot more comfortable and I was ablt to keep the reps at around 1:45 off of 2-2.05 minutes. I still get strange looks from the grey brigade who do their wierd backstrock/breaststtroke combo while I'm bent double at the end of the pool trying not to puke. It's not a good look.

On the bike, it's mainly been 1hr Trainerroad sessions, usually short VO2 reps or aerobic endurance spinning sessions. I don't think I'm making great strides in improving my ftp, but maintaining what I have built up over the year. While the average number of hours that I am doing has fallen from 12 to around 8, the addition of the swim and run stuff has added a lot of  training stress that I'm having to absorb.

Anyway, it's been a good year. I've loved the audax in the first part of the year and with LWL and Windsor- Chester-Windsor booked for next season, I'm looking forward to actually completing a SR series.

No comments:

Post a Comment