Monday 3 December 2018

Swanning about

You lookin' at me?
No one ever said that it would be easy. Trying to balance family, work and then triathlon training can be pretty miserable sometimes. The last few weeks have been really hard, as things ramp up to Christmas but at the same time myself, Mrs W, Wheezy Junior and Little Wheezy have all had a lot of extra-curricular stuff going on. Birthdays, squash matches (x4, including a competition in Brighton), dance shows, ballet rehearsals, trips and nights out with friends and then homework, planning, life admin; it's been a bit bonkers. The good thing about getting a bit older is that it's easier for me to put things into perspective and not get too worried about missing sessions here and there. I know that I should be aiming to complete 100% but I don't get frustrated like I used to. It is just a hobby. So last week I managed to do 6.5hrs training as 2 swims, 3 bikes (1 on the turbo) and a bit of commuting. All in all, a pretty reasonable return on what was a very difficult week.

So this weekend I spent most of it pretty slaughtered with a few close friends and a stuffed swan and didn't worry one jot about missing my long bike ride. By Sunday evening I had sobered up enough to do a few kms in the pool, doing my first long endurance set of the winter. Not particularly fast but I'm starting to feel a bit more grip for the water and spent most of the hour trying to get my forearm paddle working.

The fly in the ointment is my foot, which is still grumbling away. It's only 11 weeks until my first half marathon and I really need to get back on my running feet soon, If I'm to make it to the start line. It's a really long way away to IMCH, but if I'm to run quick off the bike I need to start running quick. I'm sure it will be fine but I'm itching to get going again.

Aiming for another 10 hour week this week as 3 swims and 4 bikes. Should be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment