Thursday 24 January 2019

Early mornings

Zippy
So far, they’re going well, but it only has been a few weeks. It’s been great for my state of mind to not have to worry about getting something done in the evening, which means I’ve been more relaxed when I've got home from work, trying to figure out how to work training around the family. I’m also sleeping better because I’m more tired in the evening, but normal tired, as opposed to being wired up and fatigued at the same time. I was a bit blown away at the start by the sheer number of peole in the gym at silly o' clock; I thought it would just be me

My main issue has been the first turbo session on the wattbike last Tuesday. I managed to plan it that I would start a new TrainerRoad plan in the new year, which means a ramp test. Somewhere and somehow I managed to lose 30 watts, which is a hell of a lot. I think a perfect storm of being underfuelled, a slightly different poition on a quickly set up bike and just not enough htfu. Jump to this morning's 3x sweetspot session and it just felt far too easy, which shows that I got the test wrong. I had already bumped up  my ftp by 10 watts after the test, so it looks like it's worth pushing it another 10-15 watts and see how the sessions are.

I've managed to not injure my feet, so far.  however my back is extremely achy so I've been doing some gentle core work but it's a bit too late really. It's ok during a session but getting up in the morning and my general movement it not great. I should know by now that you ignore your core at your peril. I must do better here and devote some time to it.

Simon has been a star and lent me a pair of Zipp 808 clinchers to put on my Argon.  It’s finally come off the turbo so the plan is to keep it off and use if for training at the weekends on my longer rides and when the TT season starts. We went out for another ride down the A24 yesterday and it wasn’t particularly fast but it was good to be back on the Argon as Simon disappeared up the road. This is situation normal at the moment but hopefully I can start to reel him in as we head towards the Spring.


No comments:

Post a Comment