Monday 3 May 2021

KWCC Sporting 14

 Back to some racing a couple of weekends ago with my traditional season opener at the Kingston Wheelers Sporting 14.  I’ve never really ridden this event well, even when I have been fit.  The long drag at the start up Hungry Hill, lulls the unwary into a false sense of urgency. It’s a steady rise that looks very tame, until you find, 60 seconds in, that your heart rate has maxed out and you’ve still got a lot of climbing to do. Knowing this, my plan was to pace the ride better, knowing that I’d have the long descent to recover. Pretty much, that’s what I did. At the end of the first lap I found myself in a extended, comfortably hard pace instead of my usual ‘hanging on and suffering with another 20 minutes still to go’ state. The last descent was fun and I’d got a bit more used to my new front end position, which definitely feels faster than my old position. Although I was on the TT bike, I wasn’t full aero, favouring my bog standard training wheels and road helmet. I’ll save all the new TT bongo kit for the first evening 10. Anyway, a low-ish 36, which is a course pb and I think there might have been a bit more to give, so a good opener. 

No comments:

Post a Comment