Saturday 19 June 2021

Riding with a smile on my face


The months of May and June have traditionally when I have found some time trial speed. Warmer temperatures and lighter evenings usually helps lift me out of the doldrums and it’s no surprise therefore that I can usually more the old carcass a little faster. It’s been a bit different this year. Work has been busier than I have ever known it and I’ve had to pull some pretty long hours, but with hindsight, this has helped me out. For most of the time I’ve only had my TT bike to train on, so it’s  been bolted to the turbo where I have aimed to tick off 4 hours per week. Not a great deal and most of it has been top end of Z2, looping around Watopia for 90 minutes at a time. Despite the complete lack of structure I’ve been able to maintain my fitness and started to see some pleasing results. With a social coffee ride at the weekend, I’ve been averaging 6-7 hours per week. Not earth shattering but enough to keep my head straight and my belly at bay. 

On Wednesday we had a club 2up TT.  I paired up with Simon and towed him around for most of the event for a time of 23:04, which I think is my second fastest time over the course. There were a couple of times when I had to soft pedal to let Simon catch me and our last 2.5m was my fastest ever, so some really pleasing things to build on. Most importantly, I really enjoyed it. It was the first TT in years that I really enjoyed and had a smile on my face, rather than a serious race-face. I’m trying to get a ride on a faster course to see if I can knock some time off my 10m pb or at least get down to a low 22, which I haven’t done for 5 years. I had entered the National 12hr but last week I decided to withdraw. I really wanted to ride it but I didn’t want to put in the long weekend TT rides that I’d need to do. It’s just not on my radar and I’m trying to just enjoy riding my bike when I want to, rather than feeling that I have to ride it. 

Over the half term holiday I managed to build my Van Nic back up. It ended up being a big job but I have pretty much got a new bike. It’s a bit like Trigger’s broom with every single part of the bike bolted on the frame now being a different or new part from when I bought it ten years ago. I’m particularly pleased with the new decals that I had made up and Simon bought me a new Van Nic titanium bottle cage for my birthday, which looks super smart. I had forgotten what a lovely bike it is to ride. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment