Friday 20 April 2012

Major mojo dip

It's been a hard couple of weeks since we completed the DW. It's common to read about people completing a big event that's been all consuming and then finding it hard to adjust with the loss of focus that then entails. I have never really suffered from that before. Yes, I've been miserable if things haven't gone my way but I've usually bounced straight into the next thing, but this has been different. This has been a full on case of the CBA's. Part of that is down to the injuries that I am carrying from the DW. My right wrist has all the hall marks of carpal tunnel syndrome. I am waking up at night with pins and needles in my first and middle fingers and it's been particularly bad this week with me being back at work, so I think that it's going to be a good few weeks before I get back into a boat again. In an effort to force my mojo back to the surface I went out for a few half hearted runs but my left leg was aching like hell so after 20 minutes I stopped both times and then spent another 30 minutes stretching. I was meant to do the first evening 10 mile tt's with the Kingston Phoenix on Wednesday night. I usually love these events. Turn up, beast myself on the bike for 25 minutes then have a cup of tea and a chat; all for £2. However, it got called off owing to the torrential rain and I have never been more relieved in my life. I just was not in the right frame of mind to do it. So I sat on the sofa and watched Harry Potter with the kids instead and it was fab. :-)

Yesterday I learnt that the Outlaw Triathlon had opened up another 50 places for the race. I had missed the original deadline and Simon had entered while I had not. I spent a good 20 minutes umming and aahing about whether to enter. I even had my credit card out at one point but then common sense (for once) kicked in. I'm just not prepared to do another Ironman again when I am not fully fit or not fully committed. I will do an Ironman again but only when I KNOW that I can get off the bike and run a marathon and do it to the best of my ability. At the moment I'm finding it hard and at times painful to run for 20 minutes and that's no basis for an Ironman that's 10 weeks away.

So what now then? Well, the Edinburgh Marathon is not going to happen as I am simply not in shape to get round let alone get near 3 hours and the Cotswold Tri just isn't floating my boat. At the moment I just want to get fit, run pain free and enjoy riding my bike again and to do a bit of paddling. Simon is ramping up his training for the Outlaw so I intend to meet up with him when I can and help him along and enter a few tt's with the Phoenix.  I also want to paddle regularly, even just once a week with the guys from the Royal and hopefully Adam and Jamie as well. I have invested too much time in it over the last few years to stop and I want to get better. At the moment it's not about racing it's just about putting a smile on my face. The racing can come later when the mojo has returned from wherever it has gone.

1 comment:

  1. I think the weight of completing the DW would have drained you of everything mate! The come down after completing it is a bizarre feeling, remember how many people try, but fail (unfortunately) Hang on to that thought for a while and have a cheeky smile to yourself whilst out running or riding : )

    ReplyDelete