Sunday 1 April 2012

Keeping a weather eye

A couple of K1 paddles this week with me getting quite nicely toasted on the back of my neck and a k2 paddle with Adam tonight; again, just an hour splashing up and down the Kingston straight. But this week has mainly been packing, writing lists, writing new portage instructions (lost the old ones but now have new, better ones) and generally running around trying to get things together.

Thoughts have turned to the weather. We've known for the last three months that there would be very little flow on the river and it's been proved to be correct, but the other two big variables which would greatly effect our speed, namely temperature and wind speed have been harder to predict. The good news it that at the moment they seem fairly favourable. It seems that it's going to be considerably cooler than last week which is a huge relief to us. Cold, I can deal with. Just eat more pies and hot chocolate :-) The winds seem as though they will be fairly light which again will help our cause. The bottom line is we will just have to wait and see and deal with whatever nature decides to throw at us.

Anyway, I am out of the loop for the rest of the week so it's going to be Adam's job to sort out the last few bits and details before we travel down on Friday. We're feeling good about it and hopefully the hard work over the winter will pay off for us this year. To all crews taking part in this year's event, I wish you the best of luck and I hope that you achieve your goals and have an enjoyable race. I'll see you at St Thomas's for a bacon roll.

You can follow the race here;
http://www.dwrace.org.uk/results/2012/dw.html

and if you want to give a silent cheer for boat 371, then that would be grand. See you on the other side.

Replies

Antony; I wouldn't let me anywhere near your boat if I were you. I have a tendency to break things. Have a great race and give us a wave when you go past. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment