Sunday 9 September 2012

My own worst enemy

So 14 weeks of no running and within 2 weeks of gently starting to do some light running my foot flares up again, however this time it was my right foot. :-/   I can't quite believe it. I cannot remember this happening before and it has got me really flummoxed and frankly a little bit worried. What the hell is going on inside there? It is partly my fault of course. Starting to run again, as well as beginning work again after a long summer break (which meant actually having to move off of the sofa and stand up for most of the day) and breaking in a new pair of work shoes. I don't know which of those would have been the trigger, probably partly all three, but it's hardly like I threw myself into full on marathon training and the fact that such a low level of activity should cause this to happen is the thing that concerns me most.  As I type this, I am watching an Army veteran who is a double leg amputee climbing a flagpole during the closing ceremony of the Paralympic Games, so I probably need to stop my whinging. It'll all be fine eventually.

Speaking of the Paralympics, we went along to the Velodrome last weekend to watch some track cycling. It was immense. The racing, crowd, noise, atmosphere and not to mention the velodrome itself was mindblowing. We were fortunate enough to see 5 World records (3 set by GB) and another 3 Paralympic records. A brilliant morning of sport; loved every minute of it. While cheering on GB riders was thrilling, I couldn't help watching the riders who had major hurdles to overcome. The German sprinter with 1 leg doing a sub-11 second lap. Pedalling a bike that fast with 1 leg? I almost dropped my egg Mcmuffin in awe.


So I have been commuting on my bike. I was meant to do a 25 tt this morning but obviously my foot was not going to allow that, but hopefully I will be back into the swing of things by Tuesday with some gentle spinning to and from work. 

Onwards.

1 comment:

  1. Mate that is so frustrating, the sign of no pain is the obvious indication it is good to slowly introduce training again, if you can't go off that its a tough one! Hope it is nothing serious and settles down....

    ReplyDelete