Saturday 22 September 2012

Not much to see here

It was another easy paddle in a laance mid-week with Jonesy, this time venturing a little further upstream to Raven's Ait and back. I had preceeded it by scaring myself witless in the Ranger when I took that out for 20 minutes while I waited for him to arrive. It was my first paddle in it in a fortnight so felt a bit more wobbly again and when I got to the end of the island cut I had an enormous wobble as I turned the boat round to come back. I managed to keep myself upright  with the largest and deepest brace stroke that I have ever done before tip-toeing my way back to the clubhouse. I spent another 10 minutes doing some stability exercices at the club (probably should have done those before I went out :-/  ) before settling for the relative safety of a laance. At some point I am going to just have to bit the bullet and take the ranger out onto the river proper and now the colder weather's approaching and the fishermen are retreating back indoors I 'll be able to stay a bit closer to the bank. I just need to man-up a bit.

Cycling has revolved around commuting and Strava has really come into its own. There a 3 segments on the way home that I take turns in attacking and I have managed to get myself into the top 10 for 2 of them. I am patheically pleased with myself about. :-) I must look like a complete loon to other road users as they see me gurning and dry-humping my bike in a bid to get every last bit of speed out of it in order to move up a place or 2 on that particular segment's list. I am yet to become a Strava ' King of the Mountain' but I intend to get one before the winter's out.

So, still riding my bike fairly consistently and paddling my kayak fairly infrequently.  But it's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment