Tuesday 2 October 2012

So, what to do next?

That is the question. Normally at this time of year I'll be setting myself a target event or race for next year and I would love to, but prudence is key at the moment. My main focus over the next few months is to get running again. It's as simple as that. I've been doing some gentle running over the last weeks but I have made a few ammendments to my shoes, including some orthotics to bring the overly concave part of my foot up and give it some support. I tend to tie my shoes very tight so I am also tying them more loosely and I have changed the lace pattern. Small and probably trivial changes but hopefully the British Cycling 'aggregation of marginal gains' approach might also apply to my feet. I ran for 30 minutes today. The first 20 minutes were really hard work; blowing hard, legs tight and lower back aching but the last 10 minutes were sublime and it felt really good to be running. I have no plans to commit to any form of marathon training, yet ;-)  What I am going to do is get myself back along to the running club and do a bit of cross country and have some fun. If I can get up to running for an hour and incorporate some speed, so much the better. But at the moment, it's just some gentle base.

The same will be on the bike. I'm going to keep the commuting and Strava segment hunting going, but it'll all be about base training and cake rides for a few weeks and then try to keep the cycling going through the winter, which is always a challenge.

Replies- Cheers Lee.

1 comment:

  1. I am determined to get down your way so you can introduce me to Box Hill : )

    ReplyDelete