Thursday 25 October 2012

The deed is done

So I have finally entered another triathlon, the Dambuster Tri on the 22nd June, which is a World and European Age Group qualifier. The last time I did an olympic race was in 1997 (London, first one. :-)  It seems that to even remotely stand a chance of qualifying for the World Champs I would need to get down to <2.05. Oh bloody hell, that's a very, very fast time, but hey, you gotta set the bar high sometimes. :-/  I am goingto need to enter a couple of tris beforehand to get some much needed race practice in and maybe a duathlon or two.

In terms of my training, nothing has happened this week. Not the start I wanted but I am still coughing my lungs up. I did have a short ride on the Langster this evening to start sorting out my position on it and other than mudguards it's all set up for a lot of winter commuting. I've been fiddling around with the Van Nic and I have bolted it to the turbo ready for #Turbovember. A group of peeps from Tritalk, including yours truly are going to attempt to do a turbo session everyday in November as a way of kickstarting some bike base fitness. I quite enjoy these motivational sets as the banter and group mentality helps me to get the work done. Turboing is pretty dull but I am going to need to do some big intervals to get my 40km bike split down.


My top athletic moment of the week was watching Wheezy Junior compete in his first cross country race. He did great, coming 5th and he qualified for the Borough Champs despite him sprinting like a loon and then stopping now and again. He could teach the Kenyans a thing or two about surging tactics. He was in fourth almost the whole way and got dipped on the line so there were a few tears  at the end but I was really proud of him. I wish I could run with that kind of freedom at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment