Monday 4 March 2013

Doing the dirty dog

No running all last week. Bah. The pain in my lower back just wouldn't go away and in fact got worse despite a complete rest.  It has been so frustrating. My running had gone so, so well and the last run I did, the 21 miler had been done at sub 3.30 pace with a last couple of miles at sub 3 pace while feeling very easy and with no inkling during the run of what was to come. My cold cleared up within a few days and on Thursday, despite my back and bum cheek feeling very achy I tried a gentle run. I ran a total of 10 metres before knowing it was a lost cause and got straight back in the front door. :-(

It seems to be my glutes which have been asked to work too hard and do too much. I guess with hindsight doing an 18, 20 and 21 mile run on three consecutive weekends was simply more than I could cope with although at the time everything was tickety-boo. I don't think it's actually that serious but it is taking a while to heal up. I've been having ice-baths, stretching and I have been doing some gentle glute strengthening and stability exercises. It's no surprise that they are very weak. One of the exercises I have been doing is 'the dirty dog'. Basically, on all fours and then you cock your leg up like a dog having a pee. My kids were in stitches watching me do it and they have considerably stronger glutes than me.

It has upset me that this has happened. It was all going so well and this has disrupted my training at precisely the point I should be putting in my last big block. I also had to dns the VO2 duathlon yesterday. However I was further ahead than  I thought I would be and I had already put in 3 good quality long runs. If I can get this shaken off by the end of this week then I think a sub 3.10 should still be on the cards. If not.......

I went out this evening and ran 8 minutes before I had to turn and limp / walk home. It's touch and go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment