Sunday 17 April 2016

On the upside

Skinny ankles and hairless
Last week was the Phoenix Open 10 mile TT on the G42/10 course. It was blowing a hoolie as I cycled over with Simon and Dale and therefore I was not really expecting a lot. It even started to try to rain when I got to the HQ and signed on. I had also done something very drastic.For the first time ever, I shaved my legs! In the pursuit of marginal gains, I had decided to take the plunge. It is a lot harder than it looks by the way and I needed a few bits of very un-aero sticking plaster initially to stem the bleeding.

So, like I said, fairly rubbish conditions, very early in the season and  not really feeling the cycling love. But it's the same old thing. Stick on  number and it is game on. 25 minutes or so of very hard work and see what happens. The outleg was very tough. I had cooled down waiting for my start so the first hill out to Beare Green left my legs feeling completely fried, but gradually I got into it, just trying to hunker down and keep as aero as possible in the South Easterly cross/headwind. At the top turn I had recovered a bit and thought about really trying to use the tailwind a little and I could feel myself getting stronger as the ride progressed. The really good moment was the hill at 7.5 miles. For the last 5 years this has been my nemesis and I have always struggled here but this time I felt extremely strong going up, staying on the aerobars and in the big ring; something I don't always achieve. The last mile was a hoot and as I got to the curry house 600 metres from the finish I gave it everything. It felt good. And it was good. 23:56. A course pb in April and only 15 seconds off my pb on a slow day. Vindication for me for the work that I have done on the turbo over the winter. If I can keep the consistency going over the next three months and get onto a faster course or two, sub 23 should be a realistic target. I am very happy with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment