Thursday 29 March 2012

Running out of time

 Due to reasons that I will not bore you with the last few days have been a mad rush to prep kit ready for the start of the DW and while I have been steadily ticking stuff off of the 'to do' list there is still a lot of stuff  still left 'to be done'. I've been focussing on the mystere. It's not ours and we've been loaned it for free, which is great, but there's no doubt that it's seen better days. I spent the best part of two hours today installing a new rudder wire as the old one looked particularly brittle and was badly frayed. Having never done it before I was obviously quite concerned that I'd stuff it up. It is a little disconcerting when you take it apart and find out how rudimentry it all is, the rudder bar merely being a couple of sticks screwed together with the cable threaded through it to lock the wire in place. I took pictures as I went to ensure that I reassembled it in the right order. Not having an access hatch at the rear I had to use the old cable which was already in situ to pull the new cable through.


Not so much state of the art, more like state of the ark.









Belt and braces

 I used an electrical connector block that you can get from diy stores as a locknut to keep both ends of the wire fastened as well as the standard screws. It's worth carrying a spare one of these in the boat with a small screwdriver in order to repair a wire breakage. 
I spent quite of bit of time checking over the hull. I was originally going to apply some gel coat to a few areas but on closer inspection it didn't need it. I also had a play around with using joined cable ties to secure the drybag under Adam's footrest. I don't think it's worked too well so we may well revert back to bungees. If the boat is going to break, then it will be the footrest that goes. I might just see if I can get a piece of timber that we could use as a replacement if that were to happen.
The sunshine was lovely but I could clearly see the bottom of the river and debris on the surface was not moving at all. 100 miles of canal anyone?
With my gammy foot proving tiresome again I dashed to the Sweatshop in Teddington and bought some New Balance MT101 running shoes. Horrible colours but very slim fitting and supportive with good grip on the sole, they should do the job. I've basically got tomorrow to pack most of the gear and then next week Jonesey's going to sort the food and a few last remaining bits. Our last paddle together will be on Sunday night, owing to another 40th birthday, but as it's Adam's wife it's a fairly important one. Shepperton to Teddington which will be couple of hours and then nothing until Saturday 7th April. Just want it done now.

Anthony- Dancing like crazy, with very little effect. :-0



1 comment:

  1. Right then - now you have learnt how to patch and repair your boat - any chance of doing ours?
    I also want a small discrete turbine fitted - say just in front of the rudder.
    A man with your new skills should find that fairly easy. Not sure what Key stage it is though.
    Antony

    ReplyDelete