Sunday 24 March 2013

That's the end of that

I ran yesterday for another 20 minutes and while it wasn't painful, it wasn't comfortable either and confirmed what I have known for the last week, that the London Marathon's not going to happen for me this year. Again, it's a sense of frustration more than anything else, having been in such a good place before I got injured. I will be running again pretty soon but not well enough to run London and be confident that my back will hold out for 26 miles, so it's back to the drawing board with more strengthening exercises, more stretching and then hopefully getting back on my feet.

I guess this will give me the opportunity to get back on my bike and do that other thing. What is it again? Escapes me for now. I have done a bit of commuting on the langster although they have only been short 8 mile efforts, battering myself on small sections as a sort of interval session and a few turbo sessions. I met up with Simon this morning for a 2.5 hour ride. I was meant to be on the Van Nic but while sorting it last night I noticed that there was no grease in the bearings of my rear wheel and they were rattling around in the cups, so I ended up going out on the langster instead. We ended up cycling out to the 10m tt course which isn't too lumpy. The outward leg felt pretty good while the return was comical with a stiff 20mph headwind the whole way. So that'll be why the out leg felt good despite being on the langster. I ended up coasting the last couple of miles while Simon disappeared off into the distance and rolled home with blocks of ice on the bottom of my legs. Doesn't the open water swimming season start in a couple of weeks? Swimming!! That's it. The other thing I should be doing.


1 comment:

  1. Gutted for you mate! Better to play the long game though and get yourself right......

    ReplyDelete