Monday 25 March 2013

You know that feeling...

when everyone seems to have been invited to a party and you're not invited? That others are having a great time while you're not? That's me that is. Two-fold. Firstly, there are soooo many runners out and about, presumably in the final throws of Spring marathon training. And I'm not, when I should be. I ended up walking for a few hours today and by the end of it my back was beginning to protest. As much as I didn't want to I am thinking that another physio visit will be necessary.

The second thing? Well, it's something that's taken me a bit by surprise. Not that long ago I wrote this. Three consecutive years doing Devizes to Westminster had taken its toll and I wanted off the treadmill, but over the last couple of months I had started to think about paddling again. The terrible winter that we have endured so far made me feel really glad about not being on the water and having to paddle but again, there's people out there looking forward to starting the race while I am not going to be in Devizes. The thing is that training for the DW as part of a crew always got me out there training in some form or other because someone else was relying on me being fit enough to do it. The guy who helped me out of the mystere and up the steps at Westminster last year said I would be back and I think that he may be right, sooner than I thought.

So the other day I ended up texting Jamie. How's things? How's work? Theoretically speaking, would you fancy the DW again? That kind of thing. If we were to do it again, there would need to be a proviso or two, namely going for a time. Jamie rather optimistically started talking about 20 hours. I thought that 22.30 might be slightly more appropriate. And that would mean getting paddle fit and that would mean being body fit. There are a few obstacles in the way. My back's buggered, Jamie's is even more buggered than mine. He's carrying a little bit of extra weight (his viewpoint, not mine btw) while I have the upperbody strength of a sparrow. And I don't have a boat anymore, not that I could paddle the one I had. A few things to sort out then and in a moment of clarity we thought that maybe DW 2015 would be sensible. Give us 2 years and work up to it properly and nail it rather than enduring it.

I reserve the right to change my mind again.  :-!

Replies

Hodge. Cheers mate. So glad that your training's going well. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment